USA Banner

Official US Government Icon

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure Site Icon

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

U.S. Department of Transportation U.S. Department of Transportation Icon United States Department of Transportation United States Department of Transportation

Surplus & Excess Property

FHWA has established procedures by which surplus and excess government property can be transferred to Tribes to support delivery of activities under their FHWA Tribal Transportation Program Agreement.

On October 29, 2019 FHWA recorded a web presentation explaining this arrangement and the processes involved. The recording can be found here.

Getting Started

Tribes with an FHWA Tribal Transportation Program Agreement that are interested in screening and acquiring surplus and excess property must first register for the FHWA Tribal Property Tracking System. Additional steps are required to complete the process and may be found in the detailed procedures. The processing time to establish these accounts can take up to eight weeks. 

The Tribe may also find a sample Property Management System/Procedure here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Office of Tribal Transportation Surplus and Excess Property Frequently Asked Questions

For Additional Information

Kevin Spohrer
Property Manager
Office of Tribal Transportation
Phone: 360-619-7859