Each year under the FAST Act, 2% of the available TTP funds are set aside to address transportation safety issues in Native America. TTPSF grants are available to federally recognized Indian tribes through a competitive, discretionary program. Awarded annually, projects are chosen whose outcomes will address the prevention and reduction of death or serious injuries in transportation related incidents, such as motor vehicle crashes. Transportation fatalities and injuries severely impact the quality of life in Indian country. Statistics are consistently higher than the rest of the nation as a whole.
FHWA advocates the development of strategic Transportation Safety Plans as a means for tribes to determine how transportation safety needs will be addressed in and around tribal communities. See additional information on developing safety plans.
Eligible projects for the TTP Safety Fund under the FAST Act include:
- development and update of transportation safety plans
- crash data assessment, improvement, and analysis
- infrastructure improvements and other eligible activities as listed in 23 U.S.C. 148(a)(4).
FY 2020 TTP Safety Fund
- The FY20 TTPSF Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) was published on May 7, 2020 in Grants.gov as Funding Opportunity FHWA-TTPSF-2020 under CFDA # 20.205.
- The application deadline is August 20, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time
- A webinar reviewing the NOFO was held on May 20, 2020. A recording of the webinar can be found here. The presentation can be downloaded here.
- To apply for the FY 2020 TTPSF, follow these steps:
- Review the FY20 TTPSF NOFO
- Fill out an application form. The application is an interactive form in the Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format. To ensure full functionality, download a free copy of Acrobat Reader from Adobe if you do not already have it installed on your computer. Using other PDF viewers may result in an inability to use interactive features and may not allow the user to save content entered into the form.
- Prepare a project narrative using the template found in the 2020 TTPSF application information and selection criteria guide (.docx) (PDF)
- Click the "Apply Now" button and submit a completed application form, project narrative, and any additional supporting documentation.
Prior Year TTP Safety Funding Awards Lists