Each year under the FAST Act, 2% of the available TTP funds are set aside to address transportation safety issues in Native America. TTPSF grants are available to federally recognized Indian tribes through a competitive, discretionary program. Awarded annually, projects are chosen whose outcomes will address the prevention and reduction of death or serious injuries in transportation related incidents, such as motor vehicle crashes. Transportation fatalities and injuries severely impact the quality of life in Indian country. Statistics are consistently higher than the rest of the nation as a whole.
FHWA advocates the development of strategic Transportation Safety Plans as a means for tribes to determine how transportation safety needs will be addressed in and around tribal communities. See additional information on developing safety plans.
Eligible projects for the TTP Safety Fund under the FAST Act include:
- development and update of transportation safety plans
- crash data assessment, improvement, and analysis
- systemic roadway departure countermeasures
- infrastructure improvements and other eligible activities as listed in 23 U.S.C. 148(a)(4).
FY 2021 TTP Safety Fund
The FY21 TTPSF Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) was published on July 8, 2021.
The application deadline is September 9, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time.
A webinar reviewing the NOFO was held on July 15, 2021. The presentation slides can be downloaded here. A recording of the presentation is available in two parts:
- Webinar Recording Part 1: TTPSF History, Application Process; Safety Plans; Data Assessment, Improvement, and Analysis; Infrastructure Improvement
- Webinar Recording Part 2: Systemic Roadway Departure Countermeasures Category; Review of common questions.
To apply for the FY 2021 TTPSF, follow these steps:
- Review the FY2021 TTP Safety Fund NOFO
- Fill out an application form.
- Prepare a project narrative using the template found in the 2021 TTPSF application information and selection criteria guide (.docx) (or as a PDF).
- For the Safety Plans category, a completed application form may serve as your project narrative.
- For the Systemic Roadway Departure Countermeasures category the completed Risk Assessment Form may serve as your project narrative. See the "Important Note" above.
- Click "Apply Now" below and follow instructions to upload a completed application form, project narrative, and any additional supporting documentation.
Prior Year TTP Safety Funding Awards Lists