Transportation fatalities and injuries severely impact the quality of life in Indian country. Each year under the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL), as enacted by the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (Public Law 117-58), 4% of the available TTP funds are set aside to address transportation safety issues identified by federally recognized Indian tribes through a competitive, discretionary program. Projects are chosen whose outcomes will reduce fatal and serious injuries in transportation related incidents, such as motor vehicle crashes.
FHWA advocates the development of strategic transportation safety plans as a means for tribes to determine how transportation safety needs will be addressed in and around tribal communities. See additional information on developing safety plans.
Eligible projects for the TTP Safety Fund include:
- develop and update transportation safety plans
- safety data assessment, improvement, and analysis
- systemic roadway departure countermeasures
- infrastructure improvements and other eligible activities as listed in 23 U.S.C. 148(a)(4)
To receive updates about the TTP Safety Fund, subscribe to the Office of Tribal Transportation Mailing List.
FY 2024 TTP Safety Fund -- Apply Now!
The FY2022-2026 TTP Safety Fund Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) for the TTP Safety Fund was published on June 7, 2022 and amended on January 9, 2023. Applications for the FY2024 funding cycle will be accepted October 1, 2023 through January 15, 2024.
All application forms and documents can be found on this page.
Eligible applicants may submit multiple applications by following these steps for each project:
- Review the FY2022-2026 TTP Safety Fund Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO).
- Complete an application form.
- Review the decision chart in the TTPSF Application Guide (PDF) (DOCX) to determine if a project narrative or other documentation is required.
- Submit applications by email attachment to TTPSF@DOT.gov. If your application is too large to send by email (FHWA can only recieve <24MB) please email TTPSF@dot.gov to request an upload link.
- If you do not recieve a confirmation email from FHWA within 48 hours, please contact the program manager at 360-619-2601 to verify that your application was received.
Safe Streets and Roads for All Program
The Safe Streets and Roads for All (SS4A), Tribal Transportation Program (TTP), and Tribal Transportation Program Safety Fund (TTPSF) are three complementary USDOT programs that are available to Tribes for projects that reduce fatalities and injuries on roadway facilities. A comparison of these programs and guidance on frequently asked questions about funding a project using grants from multiple of these sources is available here. Additional detail can be found in the applicable Notices of Funding Opportunities (NOFO).