This document is intended for managers of departments of transportation (DOTs) charged with leading and managing agency programs impacting the project development process and safety programs. The guide is based on lessons learned from agencies that have adopted the Highway Safety Manual (HSM) and have participated in the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) Lead State Initiative. The guide outlines the following information for managers:
- What the HSM is and is not.
- How the HSM relates to other core technical documents and policies.
- The benefits of using the HSM.
- Potential management strategies.
The guide is written in three sections:
- Introduction to the HSM.
- HSM Implementation Considerations.
- HSM Implementation Opportunities in Program Development and Project Delivery.
This guide is intended for managers without a strong background in the highway safety management process who are charged with policy and program development and staff development. The document helps agencies to examine their internal safety program, project development policies, and risk management procedures.
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
The guidebook is available free of charge at the following link: HSM Implementation Guide for Managers.