Roadway Safety Data Dashboards
Welcome to the Office of Safety's Roadway Safety Data Dashboards. The Safety Data dashboards are graphical presentations of data elements that characterize fatal crashes on U.S. public roadways. These elements include FHWA and NHTSA definitions of fatality type, collision type, collision location, and type of person involved in the fatal crash. All of these elements can be viewed and compared at the national, state, regional, or MPO level. Learn more.
Build a Safety Data Dashboard
Why use a dashboard to view fatality data? Fatality data sets are large and complex. Dashboards convert these data into familiar graphical displays that makes it easier for the viewer to see trends and to make comparisons between states, MPOs, and regions.
See trends and make comparisons in fatality data at the national, state, regional, and MPO-level.
Additional Safety Dashboards Options
The Fatality and Injury Reporting System Tool (FIRST) is a web‐based tool that allows users to query the motor vehicle crash data collected in NHTSA’s Fatality Analysis and Reporting System (FARS) and General Estimates System (NASS‐GES)/Crash Report Sampling System (CRSS). This tool has recently replaced the previous NHTSA data query tool, and continues to expand. Users can create personalized queries for dozens of crash, vehicle, person, driver, occupant, pedestrian and pedalcyclist variables and hundreds of variable categories. Key improvements under FIRST include:
- 15 years of data available
- Addition of injury and property damage crash data from CRSS and NASS: GES.
- Upgraded GIS crash location maps, searchable by address
- Multiple ways to report data: Table, Univariate and Panel Charts
- Search by Vehicle Make and Model
- Upgraded export functions to pdf, rtf (MS Word) and csv (excel) will benefit end users who will be able to seamlessly export their custom query results to presentations or other analytic tools.
- Download crash records (case listings) for single year FARS queries
Also, view NHTSA’s popular National Center for Statistics and Analysis (NCSA) Tools, Publications, and Data page, which includes data publications, Fatality and Injury Reporting System Tool (FIRST), State tables and crash maps, and downloadable crash databases.
Roadway Safety Data Technical Assistance:
State-Local Data Integration Case Studies: