National Highway System Official Map Record Database
The project provided and maintained the official geographic information system (GIS) and Adobe® Acrobat® PDF file record of the extent of the 220,000 mile National Highway System (NHS). The project included processing the State submitted changes to the NHS, using the GIS to record the highway route additions or deletions, and then producing official map products in PDF and GIS form for posting to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) NHS site.
- DTFH6116D00015L / 693JJ319F000349
- Planning, Environment, and Realty
- Transportation Management
- Updated NHS maps and GIS files.
- Produced more than 450 updated PDF State and metropolitan planning organization (MPO) NHS maps.
- Created an updated GIS shapefile for users to import into mapping programs to display the official record of the 220,000 mile NHS highways.
Updated NHS maps are official records of routes on the NHS. These routes are eligible for National Highway Performance Program (NHPP) funds. States reference these official maps to determine routes on the NHS and help to prioritize the NHPP highway funds for improvements to NHS highways. States reference these maps to determine the official NHS extent because there are Federal requirements tied to NHS highways such as outdoor advertising control, performance metric reporting, and NHS design standards.