The purpose of the project is to provide a recreational trail alternative to minimize pedestrian use of the Ski Hill Road. Additionally, the completed trail will provide a safer alternative than the Sterling Highway for students to access the nearby Skyview Middle School.
The project proposes to construct approximately 1.7 miles of all-season, accessible recreational trail that generally parallels the Ski Hill Road south of Soldotna, Alaska. The trail alignment includes small parking areas at each end and a branch trail leading to the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center.
- Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities (ADOT&PF)
- Kenai National Wildlife Refuge (KNWR)
- Federal Highway Administration – Western Federal Lands Highway Division (FHWA-WFLHD)
Scope of Work
The project work will include National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) documentation, topographic and right of way survey mapping, geotechnical reconnaissance, typical section design, trail design, trailhead parking area design, environmental permitting, utility coordination, solicitation of construction bids, and administration of the awarded construction contract.
- Construction: Summer 2020
- Project Completed: Fall 2020